TIM VIỆT FORUM
Bạn có muốn phản ứng với tin nhắn này? Vui lòng đăng ký diễn đàn trong một vài cú nhấp chuột hoặc đăng nhập để tiếp tục.

Trang ChínhPortalGalleryLatest imagesĐăng kýĐăng Nhập
Tìm kiếm

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Những Vùng Tối
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 3:02 am by Tuyet Bang

» Vì sao đại bàng đầu trắng là loài vật biểu trưng của Mỹ?
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptyTue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am by Admin

» Hoa Bỉ Ngạn
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptyTue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 am by Admin

» “Bỏ túi” 8 cách phân biệt mật ong cực đơn giản
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptyTue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 am by Admin

» Bò Kho
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 pm by Admin

» NHỮNG ĐIỀU CẦN THIẾT
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 12:19 am by Admin

» BÀI PHÁP VỀ BỐN LOẠI NGỰA
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 12:18 am by Admin

» KHÉO GIỮ SÁU CĂN
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 12:17 am by Admin

» NGUỒN GỐC CỦA ĐAU KHỔ
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 12:17 am by Admin

» TÌNH VÀ NGHĨA TRONG CUỘC SỐNG VỢ CHỒNG
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 12:02 am by Admin

» CUỘC SỐNG KHÔNG CẦN OÁN TRÁCH, TẤT CẢ ĐỀU CÓ AN BÀI
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 11:57 pm by Admin

» Lỡ Phá Thai Hãy Gấp Tụng Kinh Địa Tạng 49 Lần Để Giúp Trẻ Sớm Siêu Thoát
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 pm by Admin

» NHÂN CHẲNG SINH DIỆT, QUẢ CHẲNG SINH DIỆT
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 11:54 pm by Admin

» TẠI SAO TỪ BI PHẢI ĐI ĐÔI VỚI NHẪN NHỤC?
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 pm by Admin

» TRONG SINH DIỆT, RÕ CHẲNG SINH DIỆT
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 11:52 pm by Admin

» HIẾU HẠNH
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 11:51 pm by Admin

» Vạn vật vì duyên hòa hợp mà sinh, cũng vì duyên mà diệt
PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 11:50 pm by Admin

PARAPROSDOKIAN

Go down 
Tác giảThông điệp
Đỗ Quyên
Admin
Đỗ Quyên

Tổng số bài gửi : 469
Đến từ : Khu vườn yên tĩnh
Registration date : 30/07/2008

PARAPROSDOKIAN Empty
Bài gửiTiêu đề: PARAPROSDOKIAN   PARAPROSDOKIAN EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 pm

A paraprosdokian (from Greek "παρα-", meaning "beyond" and "προσδοκία", meaning "expectation") is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.

Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but they also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.

Examples:

"If I could say a few words, I'd be a better public speaker." —Homer Simpson[1]

"If I am reading this graph correctly—I'd be very surprised." —Stephen Colbert[2]

"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing—after they have tried everything else." —Winston Churchill[2]

"If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised." — Dorothy Parker[2]

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx[3]

"A modest man, who has much to be modest about." —Winston Churchill[3]

"She looks as though she's been poured into her clothes, and forgot to say when." —P. G. Wodehouse[3]

"I like going to the park and watching the children run around because they don't know I'm using blanks." —Emo Phillips[3]

"He was at his best when the going was good." —Alistair Cooke on the Duke of Windsor[4]

"There but for the grace of God—goes God." —Winston Churchill[4]

"I haven't slept for two weeks, because that would be too long." —Mitch Hedberg[4]

More of Paraprosdikians:

· Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

· I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

· The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

· Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

· If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

· We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.

· War does not determine who is right -- only who is left.

· Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

· The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

· Evening news is where they begin with "Good evening," and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

· To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

· A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

· How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

· Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

· I thought I wanted a career; turns out I just wanted pay checks.

· A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

· Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR."

· I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

· Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?

· Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

· Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

· A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

· You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

· The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

· Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.

· A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

· Hospitality: making your guests feel like they're at home, even if you wish they were.

· Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

· I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

· Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others whenever they go.

· There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.

· I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

· When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

· Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

· A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.

· If you are supposed to learn from your mistakes, why do some people have more than one child?

· Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

· You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Về Đầu Trang Go down

PARAPROSDOKIAN
Về Đầu Trang 
Trang 1 trong tổng số 1 trang

Permissions in this forum:Bạn không có quyền trả lời bài viết
TIM VIỆT FORUM :: Ngôn Ngữ và Văn Hoá (Languages and Culture) :: Các Ngôn Ngữ khác - Other Languages :: Tiếng Anh/English-
Chuyển đến